Its all yoga, all the time for me! Throughout my day - doing bodywork, teaching yoga, running a business, working in the garden, relaxing with friends and puppies in this beautiful state of New Mexico - my life is infused with yoga. I love the deeper awareness of my body, mind, soul that it brings me; love the deeper connection it enables me to experience with the world around it; and REALLY love that I am able to share this beauty with others.

I know its not always possible to connect with other yogis, that we all need extra inspiration in our own practices, and sometimes even a little kick in the butt to get into that yoga zone. I hope this blog will help you with that (and me, too!) as I share pieces of my classes, practices and inspiration with you.

Monday, June 29, 2015

Spinal Health in Yoga

Yoga takes the spine and all the muscles attached to it into every conceivable position.  This is healthy for healthy spines.  If you have disc issues, osteoporosis, or other medical issues with your spine, you should always check with your doctor as to what movements you should and should not do.  And then... tell your yoga teacher.  Your teacher will then be able to adapt class to meet your needs.  This doesn't always mean that the teacher will no longer lead postures you shouldn't be doing.  Rather, they will be directing instructions specifically to you to help remind you to take care of your self.  I.e. if you shouldn't be rounding your spine in forward folds due to osteoporosis but the rest of the class is doing a pose that usually requires it, you may head your teacher say "Unless you have osteoporosis or other spinal issues, round your spine as you fold.  If you shouldn't be rounding your spine, please lengthen your spine while keeping it neutral."

One of my favorite warm-ups for a healthy spine (as my students can surely attest!) is to take the spine through its full range of motion with the "Six Movements of the Spine" - this include forward bending, backbending, lateral bending (to both sides) and twisting (to both sides), aiming to do just one movement at a time (i.e. no twisting and lateral bending at the same time).  If your back is a little achy or stiff, this sequence can be just the trick!  

I usually like to let it flow to encourage more ease of movement and better lubrication of the joints....

Inhaling into forward bend (Cat) then exhaling into backbend (Dog), moving between the two for at least 10 breaths. 

Cat
Dog










Moving to lateral bending - exhale to bring hip and shoulder toward each other, making a "c" with your spine.  Then inhale to center/neutral.  Exhale to the other side.  Moving between sides at least 20 breaths.

C-Curve

 Finally, twisting.  I generally let these be a little more static.  Reach an arm toward the sky into an open twist, bringing shoulders toward stacked.  Hold 10 breaths.  Then, take that arm underneath the other into a closed twist (threading the needle), bringing your shoulder toward the floor.
Open Twist

Thread the Needle


2 comments:

  1. This is so perfect right now and helping me so much while I am traveling. I always get really bad lower and upper back pain when I travel - it hasn't been this bad in a *long* time, but these poses really do work so much!! Thank you thank you thank you Marisa!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it is helpful, Bridget. I don't know why it still amazes me how much difference the simple things can make, but I am impressed every time! Safe travels else and sweet recovery to you!

      Delete